GCC 2018-19 Catalog - Page 35

who has. GCC actively assists eligible students with applying
their educational benefits towards a GCC degree.
GCC’s VA Certifying Official does not make a determination of
eligibility, nor is she able to discuss specific remuneration
amounts with eligible students. Students should contact their VA
representative with eligibility questions. If a student is not sure of
who their VA representative is, they can obtain further
information by calling 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or
In order to initiate a student’s Veterans education benefits, a
student must apply for benefits using the VA online application
portal at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/. There is also a new
tool available for military personnel and veterans to compare the
value of their GI Bill benefits at schools across the country. A
student can access this tool by going to http://wdt.me/GIComparison-Tool. The VA highly recommends that all benefiteligible students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
(FAFSA) and apply for financial aid.
In order for Gogebic Community College to evaluate and award
any credits for a student’s military experience, a student must
request their military transcript and have it sent to the Admissions
Office. To request the military transcript, go to the Joint Services
Transcript request form at https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
Joint Services Transcript covers all branches except Air Force.
The Coast Guard is in the process of moving to the JST.
Once a student has completed the admission process and
registered for courses, they are required to complete the Request
for VA Certification form to request to use their benefits. A
student can obtain this form from the VA bulletin board outside
of the Dean of Students office or from the VA Certifying Official
in Room T108B. This form must be submitted to the Certifying
Official in the Dean of Student’s office before their enrollment
will be certified.
For any questions, please call (906) 307-1219.
Carl Perkins Grant
Many of GCC’s economically disadvantaged students qualify for
financial aid assistance. To alleviate financial barriers for students
struggling to stay in school, GCC will utilize Carl Perkins funds
to assist individuals with tuition, fees and other allowable
educational costs. The Career Counselor/Special Population
Coordinator along with the Director of Financial Aid will review
all Carl Perkins applications and determine the recipients and the
amount of Carl Perkins funds to be awarded. The criteria used in
determining the recipients of Carl Perkins funding is financial
need, program of study, special populations, timeliness of the Carl
Perkins application, availability of funding and the student’s
special circumstances. The students will be ranked according to
need taking in to account financial aid from all sources. Special
consideration will be given to students who may be experiencing
unusual circumstances in their financial status which are not
adequately considered in the regular need analysis formula.
Students receiving funding for the Carl Perkins Grant are required
to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA),
submit an Education Development Plan (EDP) and fill out the
Special Populations Program Application. The students with the
greatest financial need are determined by the expected family
contribution, financial aid received, tuition, fee, supply and book
costs, unmet cost, direct expenses paid through financial aid, and
special circumstances of the student. All of these components are
reviewed for each student applying for funding. The receipt of a
Pell Grant or low income does not necessarily mean the student has
the greatest need. For example, the first student receives $10,000 in
financial aid; the student’s income is $5,000; the student receives a
Pell Grant of $5,800 and the program cost is $6,000. The second
student receives $5,000 in financial aid; the student’s income is
$35,000; the student does not receive a Pell Grant; the program cost
is $10,000 and the student has a documented disability. The second
student would be the student who is defined as having the greatest
need even though the student’s income was higher and the student did
not receive a Pell Grant.
Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)
The Bureau of Indian Affairs provides assistance to those students
who are enrolled tribal members as proven by the member’s
individual tribe and who indicate a financial need as determined by
the college in which the student is enrolling. Applications may be
obtained by contacting the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, the local
tribal chairperson or the local tribal education department. In order to
be considered for these funds, students must also submit the FAFSA
to the U.S. Department of Education.
Senior Citizens Tuition Waiver
Tuition rates are established by the Board of Trustees for Gogebic
County residents, Out-of-District Michigan residents, and Out-ofState residents. Tuition charges for partial credit courses will be based
on the next higher full credit charge.
Adults aged 60 or older who live in Gogebic County may take GCC
credit courses tuition free provided there is space available. All
seniors are required to pay relevant institutional and course fees,
purchase course textbooks and classroom supplies, and adhere to
customary academic expectations.
Courses offered as C.E.D. or workshops (except the portion of the
workshop offered within the normal tuition structure) are offered on
a cost plus basis as determined by the administration and available at
the time of registration. All students, including senior citizens, will
pay the established rates for these offerings.
Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans
A federal student loan allows students to borrow money to help pay
for college through loan programs supported by the federal
government. The loans usually have low interest rates and offer
attractive repayment terms, benefits and options. Generally,
repayment of the federal loan does not begin until after the student
leaves school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather
than a bank or other financial institution. The student borrows directly
from the federal government and they have a single contact, the Direct
Loan Servicing Center, for everything related to the repayment of the
loans, even if a Direct loan is received from different schools. The
student will have online access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at
studentloans.gov. A student is able to choose from several repayment
plans designed to meet the needs of almost any borrower and a student
can also switch repayment plans if their needs change.
There are two types of federal direct loans: subsidized and
unsubsidized. The subsidized loans provide low interest rates and are
available to students who demonstrate financial need based on
income and other information provided on the FAFSA. A credit check
is not required to receive these loans. The federal government pays
the interest on these loans until the student is no longer enrolled in
school at least half-time. The unsubsidized loans provide low interest


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen