GCC 2018-19 Catalog - Page 34

Fostering Futures Scholarship
The Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS) is an award designed to
assist former foster care students with college expenses. All
students must submit an application each year for this funding.
The scholarship covers up to $3,000 (2016-17) or need,
whichever is less. A student must have been in Michigan foster
care due to abuse/neglect on or after their 13th birthday and must
be attending a Michigan public or private degree granting fouryear college, university or a community college. Funding can
only be used for undergraduate students and is not available for
graduate study. The funding can be used along with the Education
and Training Voucher (ETV), but may impact eligibility for other
tuition specific aid such as the Tuition Incentive Program (TIP).
There is no upper age limit for the scholarship.
Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)
This grant is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance
to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who
are the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The
veteran must have been a legal resident of this state immediately
before entering military service and must not later have resided
outside of Michigan for more than two years, or the veteran must
have established legal residency in Michigan after entering
military service.
To be eligible for the CVTG, the veteran must: have been killed
in action or died from another cause while serving in a war or war
condition in which the U.S. was participating; have died or
become totally and permanently disabled as a result of a serviceconnected illness or injury prior to death and now has died; or be
listed as missing in action in a foreign country as determined by
the U.S. government. The student must be older than 16 and less
than 26 years; be the natural or adoptive child of a Michigan
veteran; be enrolled at least half-time; be a Michigan resident for
one year prior to program application; be a U.S. citizen or
permanent resident; maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of
2.25; and not have been convicted of a felony involving an assault,
physical injury, or death.
The maximum CVTG award for a full-time student is $2,800 per
academic year up to four academic years and a maximum of
Application forms may be downloaded at
michigan.gov/studentaid or requested by calling 1-888-447-2687.
Michigan Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program
The ETV program provides financial assistance to help youth in
foster care pay for training or education beyond high school. A
youth is eligible until their 21st birthday as long as they meet the
eligibility criteria. If the youth participated in the program before
their 21st birthday, they continue to be eligible until age 23 as long
as they receive and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA. The maximum
amount of the award is $5,000 per academic year for qualified
To be eligible for the ETV, a student must have been in foster care
on or after their 14th birthday if they have been adopted from
foster care on or after their 16th birthday and have a high school
diploma or GED. For information on applying contact the
Lutheran Social Services of Michigan at 1-877-660-6388 or
online at mietv.lssm.org. Students must also complete the
Police Officer’s and Fire Fighter’s Survivors Tuition Program
This program provides for the waiver of tuition for the surviving
spouse and children of Michigan police officers and fire fighters
killed in the line of duty. To be eligible for the program, the applicant
(spouse or child) must: be a legal resident of Michigan for 12
consecutive months preceding application; meet GCC’s Satisfactory
Academic Progress policy for each enrolled semester; not be in
default on a federal/state student loan; be below the 400% federal
poverty guidelines; not have a bachelor’s degree; and provide
satisfactory evidence to the Michigan Department of State Police that
the applicant is an eligible child or surviving spouse of a police officer
or fire fighter killed in the line of duty. The child must be less than
age 21 at the time of death of the police officer or fire fighter and
apply for the first time before age 26. For additional information,
contact the State of Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants at 1888-447-2687.
Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)
MRS assists eligible Michigan citizens with physical or mental
disabilities to prepare for, enter, and maintain employment. For
additional information and a listing of MRS district offices, call 1800-605-6722 or visit the website at michigan.gov/mrs.
A student can also call the local office at 906-663-6219 or the
Houghton office at 906-482-6045 for information. Wisconsin has a
similar program and additional information can be obtained by calling
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
This program provides free tuition for North American Indians in the
state of Michigan. It does not pay for books or fees. Applicants must:
be no less than one-quarter blood Indian as certified by the applicant’s
tribal enrollment department; must be a legal Michigan resident for
not less than 12 consecutive months; and provide adequate proof of
Michigan residency. Eligible students must submit the Michigan
Indian Tuition Waiver Application to their individual tribal
organization. After review, the state will then send the college an
official letter of eligibility for the individual student. For additional
information, contact Melissa Kiesewetter, Michigan Department of
Civil Rights at 231-439-5247 or request a brochure describing this
program from the GCC Financial Aid Office.
Michigan Works and Northwest Wisconsin CEP, Inc.
Michigan and Wisconsin both have job training agencies located
throughout the state to assist students in paying for their eligible
educational expenses. For more information regarding the Michigan
program, call 906-932-4059 (Ironwood) and 906-482-6916
(Houghton). In Wisconsin, call 715-682-4889 (Ashland) or 715-7622477 (Park Falls).
For a complete listing of state agencies that are responsible for
administering state financial aid programs, log on to
To access additional information on the State of Michigan’s financial
aid programs, go to michigan.gov/mistudentaid.
Other Programs
Veterans Benefits
A student may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) if they are currently serving in
the military, have served in the past, or are a dependent of someone


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen